He thought that it might be a good idea to stay in Ilfracombe for a long weekend to see what happens. I explained that the majority of people who live in Ilfracombe are 45-65 years old (info found in the most recent census) and that may affect the reception of Verity by locals (I mentioned that it is stereotypical, but older people don't usually tend to appreciate modern art), and Angus agreed, and suggested that maybe it's the pace of the changes to Ilfracombe that people don't like.
Angus suggested making a questionnaire about Ilfracombe as a way to get to know people well through their answers, and from there I can cherry pick who I would like to feature in the film. It is quantative research: I will have the names and addresses of the participants, and will need this to get permission to have them recorded and filmed. I should have a range of people in the film and then pick out ten with the most interesting views and film only them - maybe call them to a location and film them there. I should mention that I have a familial connection to Ilfracombe, as Angus believes that they will open up to me more than they would a complete outsider.
Angus said to create connections and that the creative process will follow afterwards. I will draft up a questionnaire and send it to Shawn and Angus to check over. I may create an online questionnaire and post details about my project on Facebook groups related to Ilfracombe.
Research:
- Margate - Turner gallery, Tracey Emin
- Rob Wall - Obsolete Studios
- Is anyone doing something similar to Hirst in Ilfracombe?
No comments:
Post a Comment