On the 14th April, I went to Ilfracombe to get "voxpops" of people along the high street. I used my new dictaphone with headphones to judge the quality of the audio and what could be heard.
I targeted shop owners as they possibly would have benefitted from Hirst's presence in the town, and for their own personal opinions. I also thought they would be more willing to help out than if I stopped people in the street, and the audio quality would be better inside a building than if I was stopping people out on a busy road.
I used the questionnaire as guidance for what they should say and asked them to verbally answer the questions, as I would not be reading the questions out (for easier editing purposes). Some people read out the questions ("What's my name? Well, I'm...") whereas others just spoke their answers like I suggested. I got over 10 voxpops from various shops including a butchers, estate agents, the cinema, and a dance shop.
I did the speaking this time and found people to be very helpful and willing to take part and contribute their time. I also felt more in control and confident than when we did the questionnaires. Also, when I was in the cinema and introduced myself, one member of staff said "We know all about you!" Flick (who wrote lots in her questionnaire answers) is friends with the staff in the cinema and had told them about me. It was weird being "recognised"!
No comments:
Post a Comment