verity

verity

Monday, 28 April 2014

Second shoot

Referring to my shotlist, I went back to Ilfracombe to shoot around the harbour. I chose to focus on this location for the day as I was keeping in mind Shawn's advice to "shoot the shit out of everything" - I ended up getting 80+ clips just from this location!

I followed the shotlist and got shots of Verity from different distances, compositions, and crops. I like to use my "signature style" (I don't feel confident in myself to say this is my signature style, but I suppose it is. I need to stop thinking so low of myself!) of an off-centre composition with negative space when shooting her as it is more unexpected than a central composition, and also complements the modern art movement that she is a part of. However, I did use a central composition when zooming in on her head, as it was more visually pleasing her her to fill most of the frame with equal distance on both sides.

Around the pier, I found some signs ("danger of drowning", "pull your fishing lines in when a boat approaches", "do not feed the seagulls") that I feel build a sense of place and character. Hopefully these quirky inclusions will amuse people in the final cut.

 Some of the shots of the harbour and buildings around it came out a bit wonky. For some reason, even when all the legs of my tripod are fully extended and the top plate back in properly, the images come out wonky. I did try to rectify this on location, but some of it may be salvageable in Premiere Pro. I included shots of Hirst's gallery and restaurant, but feel that I need a better shot of the restaurant and the restaurant sign.

I also shot the exterior of an art gallery (this gallery was in the unit that Other Criteria is in, but Hirst bought them out to have Other Criteria next to his restaurant. They relocated to a bigger space a few minutes walk away), the RNLI shop, and a Wetherspoons building that is currently being built. The Wetherspoons building especially shows that regeneration is happening in the town.

One problem that I found was that whenever I pressed the record button it seemed like sod's law - loads of people crossed the frame really close to the camera, which ruined the shot. I don't mind people on the other side of the road on the pavement. Maybe because I didn't have my eye to the viewfinder or something they thought I wasn't physically using my camera; also many people probably don't know that DSLRs can film as well as take stills. I do think I probably have a good section from each clip where people don't pass so close to the camera.

This guy's going on my wall of shame
 
I will need to formulate a shot list of remaining things I want to capture.

No comments:

Post a Comment