verity

verity

Sunday, 11 May 2014

Footage #6

Please set the resolution to 1080p, mute the volume, and watch in fullscreen.

This shot is of a sign on the pier advising people not to swim in the harbour. I think shots like this build up a sense of place. The sign in central to the frame and shows the harbour behind it.

This is the same shot as above but with a less central composition. The shot above is the better shot due to its centered framing.

This is the same shot as above, but it was disrupted by passersby getting in the frame.

This is a distanced shot of the sign. More of the background is included in the shot but it comes at the expense of not being able to fully read the text. I thought I would shoot this anyway for variety when it comes to editing.

This is a closer shot of the sign, which allows the viewer to clearly read the text. I shot this closer composition to allows for some choice when editing.

This is a shot of the harbour from a carpark parallel to it. I climbed up a hill to get this vantage point. Other than the slightly wonky composition, I don't like this shot as it includes part of the carpark at the bottom of the frame and the trees obscure the view of the harbour.

The composition of this shot is slightly different to the one above as it cuts off the pier to include more of the harbour. I don't like this shot, again, due to it including part of the carpark at the bottom of the frame and the trees obscure the view of the harbour.

This is a closer crop of the pier from my original raised viewpoint. I don't like this shot as the trees obscure the pier.

This cropped shot from my original viewpoint shows the pier and chapel on the hill, but again, the trees and lamppost get in the way of the subject.

This closer cropped shot of the chapel on the hill excludes the harbour and pier. There is still some interference from trees in the bottom left corner, and the composition feels like I have taken a portrait and cut off a limb.

This shot was achieved by climbing lower down the hill, and I shot it from this perspective for variety. However, again,  I don't like this shot due to it including part of the carpark at the bottom of the frame and the trees obscure the view of the harbour.

This shot was shot from the same location as above but composed to include more of the harbour area. Again, I don't like this shot due to it including part of the carpark at the bottom of the frame and the trees obscure the view of the harbour.

I found this "Verity viewpoint" when coming down from the hill after shooting the harbour. It lead to a gap in the trees that looked across at Verity, and included an informational display about her. I like the composition of this shot: the arrow points to the pathway which leads the eye to the centre of the frame.

I included this shot of the informational display about Verity at the viewpoint. The shot focuses on the images of her construction and Hirst's name. There is also movement from the shadow of the branches overhead.


 This shot focuses on the right side of the viewpoint display, where there is a small model of Verity. I thought I'd capture this part too just in case, although I'm not fond of the composition.

This shot showcases the whole display. I'm not sure if I like it as most of the text is unreadable, but it also shows the affect Verity has had on Ilfracombe (a dedicated Verity viewpoint in a carpark).

This is the same shot as before but with a brighter exposure as on the viewfinder the model of Verity seemed to be exposed too dark. However, it was fine in the original shot, and overexposing here has affected the quality of the text in this shot.

This shot was shot from the Verity viewpoint. I zoomed in in order to crop out  branches from the frame. Verity is central to the frame in order to not cut parts of the boat from the composition. I don't like this shot as I don't like how cluttered the pier looks with building works and cars (although the cars do show that people are coming to look at her).

No comments:

Post a Comment