To begin my storyboard, I transcribed all of my audio so I could pick out the most relevant or interesting quotes by highlighting the text. I also made notes of which tracks featured background noise. I then organised it in a way that I found logical: starting with how long they had lived in Ilfracombe, their favourite places, places that need work in the town, what they think of Verity, and the effect Hirst has had in the town. I then tried to pair the audio with images that either matched what was being spoken about, or was more subtle to the subject matter. I named the film "Curious Coastal Charm", as this was the tagline for a tourist board campaign a few years ago and it was suggested to me by someone who works for the tourist information. Atmos audio of the sea is used throughout as Ilfracombe is of course a seaside town.
The opening shot of the coast at the Tunnels Beaches establishes the subject of the film as a seaside place. I overlaid the opening titles on this shot to have a more visually interesting introduction to the film. I paired this with the dialogue about finding Ilfracombe by coming on holiday, as the Tunnels are a popular tourist spot. I moved away from the natural coastal shots for the next two quotes and instead showed some of the harbour to show more of the town, before going on to show more of the coastal charm to match the quote about how beautiful the views are. There is a short sequence that follows this of the Tunnels Beaches, comprising of the directions sign, a close up of a rock under a shallow stream, and a shot of the ladies pool. This accompanies the dialogue about a lady's son-in-law finding Ilfracombe beautiful. I felt like the visuals of natural beauty fitted well.
To introduce the next segment of the film I used a shot of the newpaper headline outside of a newsagent about regeneration and improvements for Ilfracombe. This was paired with "Is there any improvements to be made? Yes, lots and lots." I contradict the next quote (there aren't any improvements) with a shot of a run down shop that seemingly sells everything. The next piece of dialogue mentions that there are patchy areas of business on the high street (blocks where shops are filled and parts where there are empty stores), and the visuals that match this is shots of empty and working stores to match the audio. More shots of the high street follow with more dialogue to support the notion of maintaining the high street. Upcoming improvements to the town are mentioned briefly (a new Wetherspoons pub and tearing down the old bus station to make a new car park) with the footage to support this.
The subject then turns to Verity, with the quote "Up North they've got the Angel of the North but down here we've got Verity". Clips from newspaper articles about Verity - charting her proposal to after her erection - appear on screen while a voice talks about the opposition and difficulty that happened during the process of gaining her. Signs for Verity lead up to our first glimpse of her as a voice says that she makes the harbour ugly. More shots of Verity accompany the majority of dialogue about her. The audio includes views that she would be better off somewhere else in the town, and one person who says she reminds her of the women of Ilfracombe during the Napoleonic war who wore their red petticoats around their shoulders to appear as soldiers from a distance and stopped his Navy from invading. A shot of Lantern Hill is shown to illustrate where they would have marched. Distanced shots of her in the harbour accompany dialogue about how she looks from a distance.
The topic then moves on to how Verity and - by extention - Hirst have affected the town. This segment begins with shots of his restaurant and Other Criteria gallery as a voice says that it has brought more visitors to the town and has also inspired shop owners to up their game to keep up with Hirst's modernisation of the harbour area - there are now more galleries and nice restaurants due to Hirst's influence. Another voice talks about the galleries, while shots of the galleries show on screen. Another says that Ilfracombe will never be Padstow "Rick Stein-ville" but is moving away from the fish and chips reputation. Explicit shots show the exteriors of fish and chip shops and the nicer restaurants in comparison. One voice focuses on how the presence has affected the local aquarium - this is accompanied by exterior shots of the building and of a rockpool to tie in with the sealife theme of this dialogue.
Finally, one last shot of Verity appears as a voice concludes "A lot of people I'm sure can only say 'thank goodness for Verity'.
I believe this storyboard will help me to make a strong piece of work.
No comments:
Post a Comment