I recorded Damien Hirst's Verity in various different compositions in order to have some choice when editing. The gates down to the pier were closed, which meant I could only get shots of her from her non-dissected side. I used unusual angles and crops in order to create more interesting images of Verity. She looks formidable against the stormy sky.
I shot two compositions of a headland in order to cover the Ilfracombe coastline. There is movement in both frames in the form of the choppy waves.
I also shot Verity from a greater distance in order to capture all of the sculpture in-situ. I prefer the closer crop as it eliminates the distracting background of the car park.
I shot another headland facing back towards the town and the small house on the hill. The headland shot includes movement of the waves. I chose to include the house on the hill as it is near Verity and is quite quirky.
As it is not peak season yet and due to the recent storms, some boats from the harbour were being kept up on the car park.
I then went to a nearby beach closer to the centre of the town to shoot the sea and smaller details of the beach. Many of the shots include movement, such as waves, and the wind moving the water in shallow puddles. I feel that the smaller details help to build up a sense of place, and because of this I will be filming more shots like this in my following shoots.
There were a few problems when shooting. It was a very windy day, resulting in horrible noise that even the windsock over the microphone couldn't diminish. On the pier by Verity, the wind noise was joined with the wind whistling through the masts of the boats on the car park, and ropes clanking on the masts. I thought that because the beach was more enclosed than the open pier, the wind may not be so bad. However, the wind was just as strong and sounded just as bad on the Tascam. I didn't record any audio at both locations as due to the wind it would be unusable, and because of this, I don't know how valid my footage will be from that day. Also, the wind was so strong that it shook the tripod, even when I was holding it still.

















No comments:
Post a Comment