Please set the resolution of these videos to 1080p and watch them in fullscreen.
This clip features some camera shake as it was a very windy day (as you can tell from the audio). I also experimented with pulling focus but I'm not sure if I like it.
This clip also features some slight camera shake (Youtube offers to correct it and I have declined in order to present the original footage on this blog) from the windy day (audio again). I like how the grey tones of the beach and sea contribute to the (often) dreary aesthetic of Ilfracombe.
This clip again features some camera shake (even though for all shots the camera was on a tripod). I like the added detail of seagulls flying in the background, but I feel that this may have been slightly overexposed as the birds seem to drift into the pale sky (but I also slightly like it).
Again, camera shake, but I like the sharp focus on the rock formation (which looks even better when watching it in 1080p).
This shot features camera shake (again!), but I like the shallow depth of field and the wind moving the water in the small puddles.
I used a shallow depth of field in order to focus on the rock among the pebbles. Shots like this will be a nice addition to the final edit as it builds a sense of place. (Do I need to mention camera shake?)
I like this shot of the pebbles as, again, these smaller details build a sense of place, and the shallow depth of field allows focus on one section of the pebbles that fill the frame. CAMERA SHAKE.
There is very little camera shake in this clip (hooray!) although there does seem to be a smudge or something on the lens in the bottom left corner. This composition uses the rocks to train the eye to the sea.
This is the same shot as above, just filmed for a longer period of time.
Please excuse the conversation with my dad at the beginning of this clip. This shows the boats up on the harbour carpark, which is an interesting shot as it doesn't happen often. However, you can hear the wind whistling between the masts and the ropes clanking on the masts, which is why I didn't record audio on the Tascam.
There is some camera shake and movement in this shot. I like the seagulls flying into and out of the shot. The grey sky in the background makes for an atmospheric composition.
This shot shows the headland back towards the centre of Ilfracombe, and because this was filmed on the pier there is some camera shake caused by wind.
This shot features a closer crop of Verity, showing her in-situ. I don't like the residential background as I feel that it distracts from her, as do the seabirds when there is no sea in the shot.
Windy camera shake again, however this shot shows all of Verity in-situ, giving a sense of how big she is. I don't like the background to this shot and hope I can reshoot from the pier so that I can capture her exposed side and possibly all of her.
Wind-induced camera shake again during this shot of "the elephant" headland. Ignore the conversation between me and my dad.
Camera shake and conversation again. I think I prefer this closer crop as it allows the size of the headland to fill the frame. I also like the small details of birds flying across the landscape - they appear as white dots.
I like this close crop of Verity, she is almost silhouetted against the stormy sky and looks formidible. I enjoy the cloud movement but am not 100% sure on the birds in the frame. I like to use negative space with off-centre compositions of the subject, and think this shot demonstrates this well.
Ignore the conversation in the audio. I prefer the previous shot of Verity as I think this shot's lighter sky does not generate any atmosphere. The cloud movement is not so obvious, although this lighter exposure allows the audience to see the colour changes in the metal and texture of Verity.
This composition shows Verity all the way to the tip of her sword. Again, I like my use of negative space and off-centre composition, but do not like the lighter exposure. (Ignore the conversation in audio again)
This focus could be sharper in this shot, and I think I need more room at the top of the frame to avoid cutting off her head.
No comments:
Post a Comment